Thursday 1 August 2013

Changes on the horizon!

Feeling inspired by the amazing speakers I listened to last week during the "It's a Learners World" conference, I decided to make some changes to my class. The furniture was rearranged, bits and pieces bought, assembled and placed around the room. So far I have only seen amazing things from my kids. The first step I implemented was create a few spaces in my class that the kids could go to get away and work on their own. Firstly I put some mosquito nets up. These are now our CAVE spaces. When they go in, they have to work independently.

Our couch became our Mountain Top/Campfire space. The couch is in front of the interactive white board. I thought that this way the children can share their work with each other using the IWB (so far we found out that we can fit 10 kids on the couch).



The back of the couch doubles as a sitting space also.

We also have some round tables set up as Campfire spaces. There we work in a group. Another big success was our sandpit space. This is our practical working area. We have already used this to demonstrate how magma seeps through tectonic plates.


My class has really enjoyed our new spaces. On a number of occasions this week they were so engrossed in what they were doing that they didn't rush of on the bell. This is what I observed earlier in the week. 



Exciting!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment