Tuesday 13 February 2018

Its about how we start the day

It is now week 3 and I'm starting to feel like we are getting there with my class. Last week and Monday this week were challenging. The children were really testing the boundaries and seeing where I might cave. I could see that with some I was beginning to get into a negative cycle and I didn't want that for them or me.
Last night I began thinking about what the causes could be. After a while, I realised that it all came down to self-esteem. Today I started the day by playing the following clip to the class. After it finished I asked the children why I might have played it to them. I had a few ideas ranging from, "it's a cool song!" to, "they're good singers." We discussed the article in more detail. Why did these people gather to sing the say they did? How do you think they felt singing with such passion? At the end, I told them that I think we as a class are an amazing bunch and that we are capable of some great things if we put our minds to it.
After a start like that their attitudes were completely different! We had a fantastic day (even though it was wet and muggy). We achieved heaps and we got along. I didn't feel like I was in a cycle of constantly growling. I think the next step for me will be to continue to develop self-confidence in my students. I want to look into working on growth mindset and mindfulness with them. I am hoping that when they leave my class they can hold their heads high knowing that they put everything they've got into the day. I want them to feel proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment