Monday 30 July 2012

Feedback

Last week we had a teachers Techie Brekkie. We arrived at school a little bit earlier than normal (for some it was earlier for others not so much) and worked on some of our online tools. While some were creating buttons for their wikis, others had started a discussion about blogging and how they should be managed.
I'm not going to discuss just blogging this time though. I think it is really important to remember how our children respond to each other's work.
This is a skill that needs to be specifically taught to our students. We need to take the time to teach them about how they communicate on the internet and the foot prints they leave behind. We give feedback verbally during class sessions to practice giving constructive feedback in a positive manner. This gives me a chance to instantly respond to what the children say. I generally teach my students the "tick and a wish" strategy that I learned from a Neil MacKay workshop I attended. Generally the children give their buddy some positive feedback followed by something to work on (I think you have used some great adjectives in your story but I wish you had used more fullstops.) We talk about the wish needing to link to our Learning Intention or to our Success Criteria. This isn'e something that comes easily to everyone and does need constant practice. I was recently really impressed by how my children have been responding to each other during our speech practices. They were great at looking at the criteria of a good speech and relating everything they said to these criteria.
It's great when you can see your students using the skills you taught them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment