Sunday 6 May 2012

Google what.....?

Today I decided to sit down to set up the kids folders in Google Apps. Going by Jacqui's advice I got the kids in the ICT suite and got the kids into their buddy groups. From there the children took turns to set up their folders in their Google accounts.
Now I thought I was doing a good thing using a time when the kids had a computer between the two of them where they could watch a buddy do it and then try it them selves.

Boy was I wrong...
Mrs Tauroa mine won't work... Mrs Tauroa I can't sign in... Mrs Tauroa my password doesn't work... Mrs Tauroa... Mrs Tauroa...
After we finally had everyone signed in I went on to explain how to set up collections. Going through everything step by step would be the logical thing to do right? Well not if some of the kids aren't listening.  
I had a student teacher with me so it didn't go as badly as it would have.

I shared this with Jacqui and told her how I got on even though I worked with groups, as it turn out Jacqui meant that I probably should have worked with a group at a time but not in the same day. She meant with one group a month...

After this experience.. and others like it I have realised that I have a tendency to jump straight into the deep end. Maybe that's why experiment so much, that's how I learn.
I did the same thing with Space Day last year. I planned it, thought hard about what I wanted to do and after having loads of second thoughts..... did it anyway.
Even though some of the experiments don't go so well I still learn heaps from each one.
So what did I learn from this experience?

Set the kids independent work and have a SMALL group with me working on setting up their accounts.
So that's what I'll do next year...
On the positive side everyone in my class is all set to go for our technology filled week.

5 comments:

  1. Ah yes, 'the best laid plans of mice and men' and all that! Sounds like you did a great job of problem-solving your way through it all anyway, and the end result is the same! Other than a bit of personal learning thrown in for good measure. Now you can teach me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha why make things easy for my self? Just doesn't seem to be my but hey the kids and I learned and I'm more than happy to share what I learned

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a chuckle reading your post, maybe when we talked about it I didn't make it obvious! The problem is that you are so competent I probably forgot to tell you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tee hee! It was a learning experience either way :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete