Thursday 10 May 2012

Graphic organisers

As I mentioned before, we've been learning about charities.  The charity we have been focussing on is Auckland Rescue Helicopter Trust. 
Today we looked at how helicopters work. Instead of telling the kids to display what they learned in their books I got the kids to show their work in a template I created using Draw in Google Docs.
The children collected the information about the forces at play and placed their findings in the template. I thought that four medium sized boxes would be enough space for the children to show their understanding without intimidating those who don't like to write. Graphic organisers are great like that. 

I was pleasantly surprised. The discussions that the children were having were fantastic and even my more reluctant writers displayed their what they learned. Most filled the boxes I gave them and added more because I just didn't give them enough space as I was later told.

This is the template I created:


This is what some of my kids created:



So what do you think? I was blown away!

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous how the kids are using Graphic Organisers, I am a huge fam of them in all curriculum areas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. he he~ looooove graphic organizers. :) how are you ksenia? how's the best school in the world doing? haha~ keep blogging. love reading about what you're doing in your classroom. :)

    ReplyDelete