Wednesday 26 October 2016

Expectations!

Once again I am forced to think about expectations. I wasn't sure what to expect from a Year 1 class when I started. Naturally, some of the work that I set was too hard and other work was too easy. I had to adjust my expectations to fit what the children were able to do. I was, however, reluctant to make the hard tasks too easy. I want to keep my expectations high. I find that at times, we lower our expectations too much. I have always believed that when adults expect more, then children rise to the challenge. Not everyone gets there the same way. They all have a slightly different way of achieving what is set, but they always end up doing better than they, themselves, expected.
In my second week in my new class, I didn't let one of the girls hand in a sentence for writing. I told her that she was capable of much more, that she was doing such a fabulous job of sounding out and that I thought she could complete her story to describe one of our class activities. She walked away, looking a little sulky, but when she returned she had completely described our class activity. On another occasion, I had a young gentleman completely change his attitude to reading. He was reluctant to start with, and would happily wait for others to read out the tricky words for him. In three short weeks, he has become my star reader!
I realise that the children were probably trying their luck with their new teacher. But imagine if I had lowered my expectations to what they were saying they could or couldn't do? What would I be getting from these children? I think by keeping my expectations high, but also praising the children for their efforts I am able to achieve much better results that I first thought. Becuase at the end of the day, all they really want to know is that they have done a good job and that we are proud of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment