Monday 31 October 2016

Importance of mood

Today was brilliant! We started the day focused and motivated. The kids and I played "I Spy" before the bell and it just set a positive mood for the day. I thought about the days that I arrive a little tired because we had a bad night at home with the toddler and how much it might reflect on the overall mood of the day. Yes! There are days when on matter what you do and no matter how positive you are at the beginning of the day it seems to not matter, they are not the norm. Usually, the state of the mind of the teacher is reflected in the students. It seems like common sense when you think about it really, but it is so hard to pick up your feet when there are other things going on.
Today has proven to me that starting the day with a smile can do wonders for how your students work for the rest of the day. They were a reflection of me and they wanted to please. The writing I got out of them today was fantastic. One of my boys, who usually produces a sentence or two at writing time, wrote a whole two pages of organised recount. I was so proud of him. One of my reluctant readers today was the star of the group at sounding out tricky words. I was proud of her too. They weren't the only ones that blew me out of the water today. I danced the victory dance more than once today.
I endeavour to start tomorrow with a smile too and I implore the rest of you to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment